The U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section (PAS) in Bishkek is soliciting proposals for grants from Kyrgyzstan’s civil society and independent media organizations that focus on one of the priority areas specified below. Applicants should pay close attention to the Public Affairs Section’s goals, priority program areas, target audiences, and geographic locations when developing their proposals.
This program will be funded under the Foreign Assistance Act authorization. All programming is subject to the statutory limitations of the funding determined.
- Social entrepreneurship and business empowerment to marginalized groups, particularly for women, youth and vulnerable population to improve the business climate, advance economic independence, and sustainable development. (commercial activity or specific businesses/startups will not be considered)
- Free flow of information , development of independent and professional journalism, includes media and journalism training
- Promotion of government transparency , citizen understanding of public finance and decision making, includes anti-corruption efforts
- Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) through promoting peace and tolerance, creating alternative socio-economic opportunities for groups at risk, possible rehabilitation and reintegration of Kyrgyz returnees , and working with media and social media to promote peaceful discourse
- Gender-based violence , focus on empowering rural women by educating them about their rights and providing survivors of gender-based violence with the avenues for economic self-sufficiency, includes providing legal support to the victims, as well as raising awareness on GBV
- Conflict prevention includes activities designed to avert the escalation of a dispute into a violent encounter, through identifying and addressing the root causes and triggers (events that propel a situation into a new level of escalation) of conflict. (This may include interethnic tolerance and understanding, and cross-border activities.)
- Promotion of a robust civil society that advances the civil rights of all population
- Strengthening social partnership and dialogue among government and civil society organizations
- Promoting rule of law and legal reform
- Inter-faith and inter-ethnic dialogue; religious freedom (religious activities which advance or inhibit one religion over another, or one interpretation of a religion over another will not be considered)
- Combatting human trafficking
- Promoting environmental awareness by creating citizen understanding of sustainable management of ecosystems and natural resources