Hi All - The National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders in Kenya has opened the 2018 awards for three human rights defenders/organizations - the Munir Mazrui Lifetime achievement award, Human Rights Defender of the year award, and the upcoming Human Rights Defender of the year award. These awards honor and publicly recognize the important work of HRDs in Kenya, by giving out awards to men and women who have demonstrated courage and impact in the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms. Each awardee will win USD $1,000 and be formally recognized at an award ceremony in November 2018.
The nomination form is available for download here: http://nchrdk.org/call-for-nominations-for-human-rights-defenders-awards-2018/
Note: **All nominations must be received via email to the NCHRD-K at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15th, 2018 at 12:00 p.m EAT. The nomination submission email should include a clear subject line “HRD AWARD NOMINATION”.
More detail on the nomination is below:
The objectives of these awards are to:
- Honour the extraordinary work of HRDs in the promotion and protection of human rights;
- Profile the work of HRDs and challenges they face as agents of social change and transformation;
- Recognise and appreciate the human rights work of young and upcoming HRDs in Kenya and support talent;
- Enhance the safety and protection of all HRDs in Kenya.
The Working Group on Human Rights Defenders in Kenya develops a call for nominations which is then widely circulated by the National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders-Kenya (NCHRD-K) and other partners. This call outlines the criteria for eligibility for nomination.
A panel then shortlists ten individuals within the set out guidelines for shortlisting candidates.
The panel verifies the HRDs human rights work through field visits, and interviews with the nominators, the nominees and their references.
The Independent Selection Panel, which comprises of eminent individuals in the human rights sector, makes a final decision, from the names submitted, on the recipient of the three awards and the runner up.
- Award ceremony :
Will be held on the 30th November 2018 in the presence of CSOs, the government, selected HRDs, representatives from the international missions, and the media who will cover the event.
The following will be taken into consideration:
- Grassroots based HRD
- Demonstrable impact of the HRDs human rights work to the community
- The role of the HRD in promoting human rights
- ‘Civil courage’ of the HRD in his/her human rights work
- Demonstrated leadership, innovation and creativity in his/her human rights work
- Contribution to development of a human rights based approach within his/her county in regards to the thematic area of focus
- Future goals and likely impact
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made
- Visibility derived from award to enhance work of HRD to promote human rights and active citizenship
- The HRD should have a link to the community and his/her work should have built or working towards building a movement.
- The HRD should be a seasoned or upcoming in the human rights field.
- Three awards will be presented to the overall winners : the Munir Mazrui lifetime achievement award, the HRD of the year award and the upcoming HRD award.
The winners will receive:
- A cash award of $ 1,000
- A plaque with the HRDs name on it
- Will be a guest at the HRD award ceremony 2019