The International Land Coalition (ILC) has extended their deadline to apply for the Community Land Initiative until October 1st. The initiative, launched in conjunction with IIED and Namati, is an exciting opportunity to explore community land protection methods in an extensive, peer-to-peer learning program.
More details and a link for the application can be found below from ILC:
Community Land Initiative Protecting our land for a prosperous future
Demand for recognition and protection of indigenous and community land rights is at an all-time high. Around the world, ILC members are mobilising to help communities claim and defend their customary land rights. To build on and advance these efforts, the International Land Coalition (ILC), Namati, and the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) are thrilled to launch the Community Land Initiative and invite applications to become part of the first group of peer-learners.
Over the course of a year (2017-18), participants will learn together how to best support communities to:
- Create and adopt strong by-laws that ensure democratic governance; diverse, downwardly accountable leadership; and improved stewardship of lands and resources;
- Establish strong protections for the land rights of women and other marginalized groups;
- Harmonise the boundaries of their lands with their neighbors, then map, zone and document their lands as owned or used by the community as a whole;
- Formally register their land claims, if possible within their nation’s legal framework;
- Create a vision for their community’s future prosperity, establish systems for deciding whether (or not) to share community land with potential investors, and learn how to negotiate fair, beneficial contracts that promote community interests and economic development.
The Initiative will fund each participating organisation to support two to three communities to actively protect community land. Communities will be better equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary for equitable, empowered engagement with private sector actors – to scrutinise contracts, negotiate partnerships or hold investors to account.
Submit your application to email@example.com by 1 October
DEADLINE EXTENDED: 1 OCTOBER 2017