The TAP Network is searching for a Communications and Engagement Officer. You can access the job posting and apply here.
The TAP Network is seeking a qualified and creative candidate as a Communications and Engagement Officer to support the TAP Network Secretariat in managing a thriving, international network of civil society organizations working towards SDG16+ around fostering peaceful, just and inclusive societies, and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This Communications and Outreach Officer is expected to develop and maintain key internal and external communications and outreach channels, for showcasing and engaging with TAP’s members and partners. This includes leading the network’s communications and outreach activities, such as managing the TAP Network’s website and social media and developing and maintaining inclusive and effective platforms for engaging with and showcasing the work of TAP’s diverse Member Organizations.
This is an exciting mid-level opportunity for someone with a creative and entrepreneurial mind, and a passion for advancing issues related to peace, justice and inclusion at all levels. This role will allow the Communications and Outreach to develop and implement a wide range of opportunities that will engage directly with key international partners, in a way that showcases and amplifies the voices of civil society at all levels.
This is a full time (40 hour per week) position with the TAP Network Secretariat operating on Eastern time from New York City.
- Support the development of a comprehensive communications, outreach and engagement plan for the TAP Network for 2024 and beyond, including opportunities for engagement with Members, key dates for mobilization and plans for engagement around such opportunities
- Implement communications, outreach and engagement plan to maximize involvement and buy-in from TAP Partners and Members, including through showcasing work of members and partners, storytelling, interviews and other networking opportunities
- Lead in the development and maintenance of online membership portals, which showcase the work of TAP Members and Partners, to encourage increased collaboration an learning amongst TAP’s Membership
- Manage the TAP Network’s communications and outreach activities, including website, social media and other reports, capacity-building resources and publications
- Create opportunities that provide for inclusive and effective engagement of TAP’s Members at all levels, including web-based or virtual platforms
- Coordinate all communications and outreach efforts related to the TAP Network’s #SDG16Now Campaign, including through regular updates to partners, and production of key advocacy and promotional materials for the campaign
- Alongside the TAP Director, lead on programming and the advancement of TAP’s partnerships with external organizations and the international community
- Manage and update the TAP Members and Partners lists on a regular basis and respond to requests for support from TAP Members and Partners as needed
- Coordinate relevant in-person and virtual meetings, events and workshops for the Network and generate agendas, minutes and any other materials needed to advance TAP coordination and advocacy
- Assist the TAP Director in following all relevant UN processes related to the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including identifying key opportunities, note-taking and advocacy, as needed
- Assist in administrative duties such as liaising with vendors, printing and copying and overall grant management for the programme, as needed.
The Communications and Outreach Officer will be proactive and able to self-manage, prioritize work assignments, problem solve, multi-task and manage multiple deadlines and represent the TAP Network in a polished and professional manner. This candidate will also have a creative mind with the ability to develop and implement effective communications and outreach strategies from a civil society perspective, with a strong capacity for thinking outside the box. The ability to write and communicate clearly are vital, with knowledge of graphic and web-design and of civil society engagement are all strongly preferred.
What you’ll ideally bring to the TAP Network:
- A creative mind, with the ability to think beyond traditional civil society communications and outreach approaches, including virtual means of engagement with partners
- An entrepreneurial approach to your work, with the ability to think beyond simple tasks to identify additional opportunities or engagements
- Strong ability to analyze and communicate complex issues in easily accessible language for a diverse audience
- Story-telling ability to showcase the work of a diverse set of stakeholders in clear and compelling ways
- Background and knowledge of coordinated civil society advocacy campaigns and understanding of how to maximize engagement of a wide range of partners
- Ability to manage communications tactfully and professionally with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Versatility, adaptability and ability to multi-task in a team-focused and fast-paced environment
- Strong time management and organization and an attention to detail
- Maturity in dealing with sensitive and sometimes difficult subjects impacting a wide range of diverse stakeholders from around the world
- Self-starter who thrives in taking on work independently, and is accountable for delivering on roles and responsibilities
- Proficiency in various graphic and web-design platforms and prior experience in producing creative media and web-based products
- Experience in high-level event management and proficiency managing online meetings platforms such as Zoom, WebEx and Teams
- Experience in working with Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Experience in graphic design, including the Adobe Creative Suite of tools (including Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign) is also a plus
Education and Experience:
- A bachelors degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Sustainable Development or any related fields is required. A Masters Degree in these fields is a plus.
- At least 2-3 years of relevant experience in the fields of communications and outreach, civil society engagement and/or international relations
- Prior experience working with diverse networks of civil society is preferred.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language (particularly French, Arabic, or Spanish) is a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess prior experience in event coordination, specifically around the United Nations, and/or knowledge of the United Nations system and political processes in New York, particularly around the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs (specifically SDG16).
Alignment to Culture and Values:
- Commitment to ideals of the TAP Network
- Commitment to vision, mission of Proteus as a progressive social justice organization
- Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to equity and inclusion
- Strong relationship building; high ethical standards, discretion and tact
- Personal qualities of humility and empathy
- Generous health insurance and retirement plans
- Three weeks paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Twelve paid holidays, plus an additional 3 floating holidays to observe other religious, cultural and political observances
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Paid Family Leave