Pro Bono Net’s Justicia Lab develops technological tools in support of immigrant communities, nonprofit organizations, and government offices that serve them. The Legal Empowerment and Technology Fellow will play a key role in designing and implementing innovative projects focusing on the use of technology to advance legal empowerment strategies. Justicia Lab’s award-winning immigrant legal tech tools include Citizenshipwoks, Immi, Immigration Law Help, the Immigration Advocates Network) and our workplace justice project ¡Reclamo!.
The Fellow will work closely with senior Pro Bono Net program and technology staff located throughout the country to develop and implement this project. Fellow responsibilities will include:
- Develop a working knowledge of multiple forms of humanitarian immigration relief, workers’ rights issues pertaining to wage and hour complaints, and other legal areas affecting immigrant communities;
- Contribute to research and development of tools and resources designed to address legal issues prioritized by immigrant communities and the advocates who serve them;
- Support the testing, training and rollout process of new tools with cohort partners to identify and implement promising practices;
- Collect data and analyze it to assess the efficacy of our technological tools and workflows; and
- Liaise with other Pro Bono Net staff to facilitate cross-program knowledge-sharing and capacity-building.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, with training or experience in the public interest legal, public policy or access to justice arenas strongly preferred;
- Strong interest, fluency and comfort in the use of technology;
- Excellent attention to detail, with commitment to high-quality services and work product
- Confident and skilled communicator (written and verbal);
- Strong self-motivation and initiative required, with ability to track priorities, thrive and be resourceful in a dynamic environment with new challenges to solve;
- Ability to work well with others and collaborate on complex team projects involving on-site and remote collaborators; and
- Good standing in an accredited JD program.
About Justicia Lab
Justicia Lab is Pro Bono Net’s immigrant justice technology lab, and a nonprofit legal tech initiative whose mission is to transform immigrant justice through collaboration, creativity, and technology. We work hand in hand with immigrants and their advocates to identify common challenges and incubate scalable digital tools to advance help immigrants navigate our immigration system, find workplace justice, and more. Justicia Lab has developed over a dozen immigrant justice legal tools to scale and support the work of advocates and bridge the justice gap, helping over 500,000 people find critical immigration information and relief.